Professionals will be able to work with this internationally renowned calculation engine in their new projects, analyzing finite element models in metal structure connections
CYPE, the architecture, engineering and construction software company, is strengthening its international position as a supplier of technological solutions for structure design with the implementation in its range of solutions available on BIMserver.center with the Open System for Earthquake Engineering Simulation (OpenSees) calculation engine for both linear and non-linear structure analysis.
The use of this calculation engine, developed by Frank McKenna, Gregory L. Fenves and Filip C. Filippou at the University of California in Berkeley, is widely used throughout the entire world. It is highly regarded as a leading calculation engine among academics and professional experts of advanced structural design. This engine is used extensively to simulate structural and geotechnical system behavior in the event of earthquakes as indicated by its name (Open System for Earthquake Engineering Simulation).
Thanks to CYPE's implementation, professionals using this engine can integrate the results of their projects into their Open BIM workflow and benefit from the advantages this methodology has when operating in the cloud, sharing information, and collaborating with other professionals in real time.
BIMserver.center programmes with the OpenSees engine
BIMserver.centre's structural programs that have already implemented the OpenSees calculation engine and allow linear analysis are:
- StruBIM Analysis. A program to generate, edit and analyze an analytical model based on structural models (imported as an IFC or XML file).
- StruBIM Design. A tool to design, check, and edit reinforced concrete or steel structural elements, based on structural models (imported from an IFC or XML file) and global analytical models (imported from StruBIM Analysis or from an XML file). Allows the creation of local analytical models of floors.
- StruBIM Foundations. An application to generate, design, check, and edit foundations based on structural models (imported from an IFC or XML file) and global analytical models (imported from StruBIM Analysis or from an XML file). Allows the creation of local analytical models of every foundation level.
Future OpenSees updates in CYPE programs
Besides the previous applications, CYPE continues to work on the implementation of OpenSees in new solutions with the aim of allowing professionals to work with this international calculation engine in steel structure projects as well as projects with other materials such as concrete, timber and composite.
More specifically, during the next updates of the 2021 version, the StruBIM Steel program will include a specific module for the non-linear analysis of steel structure connections with the OpenSees calculation engine, facilitating improved modeling and computational simulation of finite elements. In addition to this, CYPE will make CYPE Connect Steel available as a standalone, individual use program that can be downloaded from the BIMserver.center Store.
In future versions, other CYPE software such as StruBIM, CYPE 3D and CYPECAD, will also incorporate CYPE Connect Steel, enabling users to develop detailed and highly accurate BIM models, including all the necessary elements (sections, plates, bolts, welds, anchors, etc.) supported by finite element analysis models and regulatory checks.
This is only the beginning with regards to the implementation of this calculation engine. OpenSees opens the door to non-linear analysis in software tools for structural engineering in future versions, be it for the design of ties, evolutionary models, pushover analysis, geometric non-linearities and the materials used in the design with these programs.
- Using BIMserver.center technology in innovation projects - 25 August, 2021
- Digitalising on-site incidents for more accurate quality control - 7 July, 2021
- Price increases in the construction industry caused by COVID-19 - 22 June, 2021